Sunday, April 1, 2007

Exercise #22 EBooks

Started this discovery at work and am finishing here at home without my original notes. Since we can't download on the OPACs, I had never really explored this. Here are some random comments and thoughts:
Found it interesting, although neither in the net library or the Gutenberg Project did I find titles such as the Color Purple (SJPL had cliffnotes)of the House of the Spirits. So am a little puzzled about what makes it as an ebook, since I would consider these pretty popular and standard multicultural literature.

Another thing that surprised me, was that you could read books on line without downloading; I had always assumed that books downloaded to the computer. While I prefer reading actual books and newpapers, having access to table of contents or a general summary on line would be beneficial in deciding if you wanted to read something.

Saw that in netlibrary, an e-audio book would take 4 1/2 hours to download for cd, but only 38 minutes in radio format on a dial up computer like mine. I did check out a book, (although it didn't show im my record), but didn't download the software which all seemed difficult and scary. Maybe I'll try it sometime (just not when I'm trying to finish these 23 things by today's deadline). Nice to know there are no overdue fines and that the items just disappear at the appropiate due date. Was successful in listening to a 2 min reading of the book, which worked just fine and was interesing, since I've never listened to an audio book either.

noticed the difeerrence in access bethween SJSU and SJPL, since the first few things that peaked my interest were university only items.

and finally, had to turn off the pop-up blocker to Gutenberg, which has free months in July and October. Did look at some of the top 100 lists.

No comments: