Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Exercise #15- Web 2.0

I read "Away from the Icebergs," "To More Powerful Ways to Cooperate" and "To a Temporary Place in Time." I am always drawn to the ideas of cooperation and community which is why I especially enjoyed the article by Wendy Schultz. What I have always enjoyed the most about my library experience is the interaction with the customer - remembering them from a previous conversation, knowing who the kids are, and seeing them grow. And in terms of reference work, having the connections to outside agencies, social service support people, cultural events and being able to make and use those connections. I do love the San José Way view of the library as a focal point of the community, people hanging out, and programming and parternships. Clearly, as society changes we need to change too (and yes, I'm behind in the technology world), but balance is also important. In the article, Dr. Schultz talks about Library 4.0 absorbing Library 1.0-3.0 and as long as we remember that not everyone has tech gadgets, that not everyone speaks the same language, that economic circumstances drastically limit or enhance options and we continue to find ways and make efforts to be inclusive, count me in! Hoever, this tour guide needs lots of practice.

No comments: